Center of two non parallel lines

I am working on a railroad subgrade surface. The subgrade is crowned at the center of two tracks, and the distance between centers of track is variable. Is there a command to create a line at the center of two non-parallel lines to use as my crown line?

1 Like

Might be a couple of steps. But you could create a sloping surface from the edge of each interior track using the same slope and then use one of the slope intersection commands to create a line at the intersection. This should be the middle using the properties of similar triangles. Just make sure the track height is the same elevation tracks while creating this line.

1 Like

On the same theme here - you could offset both lines 1’ at the same slope to create 2 pairs of lines and then use the slope slope intersection command to find where the two slopes intersect which if they are the same slope should be half way between them.

You can do a slope slope intersection in a corridor also if you have the two lines and an alignment - add the two lines as reference lines so you can use them as the basis for the slope slope computation. Do that in the Corridor itself - find the corridor top level in project explorer and then edit it to add the ref lines. The ref lines will show up as nodes from which you can do the slope slope from.

Alan

This worked perfectly. Thanks very much!

I like where you are going with this Alan. This was my other thought as well. This could make for a nice template for other cases like this.

Do you guys have a library for useful templates?