Interior Void - Null Texture Trick - Way to extract linestring?

Problem:

Solution:

After math:
Is there a way to extract a linestring from a texture boundary? I need to use this region for a clipping boundary to merge this to another surface. I cannot use track region because it is a corridor surface that I created with instructions. I cannot use a simple offset either because the the surface varies depending on if it is in a fill or cut slope.

**I could use the explode surface command but worrying if there is something a little quicker. This would still require some data prep.

Explode surface and extract the drape lines - texture boundaries are always stored internally in the surface as Drapelines

Alan

This is kind of a spin off conversation but it would be extremely useful to have linestrings generated for corridors similar to how they are created for sideslopes. Or at least the option to show a linestring.

You could use sideslope but when dealing with multiple corridors along an alignment, the control of templates isn’t as smooth.

This would save from having to explode the surface.

The two are same but different.

Future Enhancements:

Corridor:

• the ability to extract a linestring from a named instruction
    ** useful for creating a boundary line but there is also use in other cases as well

Sideslope:
-The ability to create a group that templates are associated to
-This would help with starting and stopping templates along the same line, similar ability you get with corridor templates
-The ability to see reference surfaces
-The ability to use reference definitions in the side slope tool

***sideslopes have a wider use case on non-road based jobs

Both have their plus and minus but they both allow you to dynamically model these entities which is awesome.

Here is the project and a walk through. Video is a little lengthy but pretty awesome results and showcases a few new TBC 5.40 features; vertical rebuild all, Earthwork Takeoff Report

I think I must have gotten into some pretty good drugs this morning so here’s a far out idea: how about the corridor templates generating linestrings in real time. Then if you go and edit said linestrings in plan view, 3d view, or profile view, i.e. at an intersection, ramp gore, guiderail radiuses, sign foundation bumpouts, etc., etc., those changes are sent back to and saved in the template so as the surface rebuilds, your changes are still there.

1 Like

I don’t hate the idea but that might be too complex to relay back to the corridor logic. In a case like that I would probably use vertical design and then reference either the surface or the lines in the corridor.

Now with vertical design and side slope, I truthfully don’t use the corridor templates that much. I am using it in this project because I believe it helps to mange my subgrade layer better and it allows me to create multiple layers( subgrade, crush, gravel, pavement) in one template where as with the side slope command, I would have to have a dedicated template for each layer. This is really just the portion that cannot get model with the “out of the box” subgrade thickness from MSI.

I think what is missing is the ability to extract a series on linear nodes as a linestring. Side slope does this. Why can’t we do this for corridors?

Either that or the support for creating multiple “layers or surfaces” within a single side slope.

Why not use the “SNAP” surface/mesh vertex, to draw a boundary from the surface to clip.

For a small project this would work but the boundary created has close to 800 vertices I would have to snap to. Straight sections aren’t bad but anywhere there is a curve would be painful.

You also can’t create multiple surfaces in a side slope like you can with the corridor. This can be a pain when you are trying to model multiple layers; crush gravel and gravel.

The surface intersection commands would also work if it is a daylight line. You would just have to remember what surfaces you are using to get this point.

That would be great to add multi surface in the side slope command. I am still waiting to see if they can get a corridor to let MSI get placed in the corridor. The fastest way i came up with to add material in the corridor is to export the corridor surface and bring it back in. The use it as a surface instruction and use line work to bring in AOI of that surface and do a vertical offset at the same time. It has saved me many nodes where i have side slope with breaks and i want to add top soil across my side slopes.

You can apply Site Improvements to a corridor surface directly- no need to export it and import it.

Alan